Thursday, September 18, 2008

What a strange title

The mid-morning sun pierced the lingering frost on the brilliant yellow wattle in my Australian garden. It was a cold, crisp, yet sunny day in May and the vibrant colors stood out against the brilliant blue of the sky. I was going to start a new life yet again, this time far across the Pacific, in the United States.

Eucalyptus trees, with their lovely yellow flowers, have always been a favorite of mine and I wondered if I would miss the heady, strong gum smell, mid-summer when the heat is oppressive and the cicadas are so loud one can hardly concentrate. It turns out that California is loaded with eucalyptus groves, the scent so reminiscent of Australia, but alas, no wattle flowers.

Yellow has always been a favorite color, perhaps because of the wattle, the green and gold worn by Aussie athletes, or perhaps because it is the color of amber - amber washed up on Latvian shores, where my heritage lies.

What an interesting journey my life has been, taking me more than two-thirds of the way around the world. The heritage of northern Europe so firmly ingrained in me by my parents, to the easy going lifestyle of Australia in the fifties and sixties. My childhood, my youth and early married life, the land with so many gum trees and wattle flowers certainly helped create the person I am today. But I wasn't done yet. The home of the bald eagle, the mighty United States, beckoned through a lover who became a husband. After more than twelve years, dual citizenship, and making so many new and wonderful friends, I feel part of the US as well. In this blog I want to try to capture who I am, why I think the way I do and how being a product of three different cultures has changed my life and my thinking.

Maybe I just want to know the meaning of life, the need to strive and achieve, live as many adventures as possible, to laugh, cry and share all this with my family and my friends, but most of all, to be true and faithful to myself and my beliefs, incorporating all the lessons learned from the land of amber, the land of the wattle tree and the land of the great bald eagle.

9 comments:

Aussie in the USA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aussie in the USA said...

I wish I could share my wattle tree with you! I have one in my my urban LA garden. It sits 2 stories above the ground like a little oasis. Loved your blog. Looking forward to reading more!

Shirtless Wonder said...

If future blogs are as well written as these 2 blogs are, you are definitely on your way to being published. Cheers Darling

patchekid said...

Now Anta, I have to tell you that I usually stop reading people's blogs about 10 lines in.... but yours I read right to the very end!! I was quite emotional by the time I got there because I am pleased as ... Punch? that you feel at home in California, because I remember your Mum telling me that she was happy when you and I had become friends because she knew that she could relax and not worry about you after that. Haven't I been a poor quality friend? In any case you deserve your joy, friendships, loves and contentment because you are so special and giving yourself...
Just please please don't start talking in any other way than you always have [ie not like a yank] aagh... the pain!!
Love to you
Carmel

. said...

Turpinat!!!! Tik ljoti gribas zinat vairak par Tevi un par parcelsanos uz citu valsti, tik ljoti gribas zinat, ka citi cilveki pardzivo, kad iepazistas ar jaunam parazham un cilvekiem... Ljoti ljoti gaidu nakamos rakstus!
xoxoxox
Mara

Coombe Cushion Creator said...

Ja, Antin, tiesam labi Tu raksti, ta tikai uz priekshu!! Patik lasit!

Ilze Dickson said...

Even though I've known you for so many years,I'm still finding out a lot of things about you I didn't know.Well written,and held my interest to the end.I would like more recipes on you tube though.

Jill said...

Anta,
Your first two submissions are wonderful. Your writing flows beautifully (not beautiful) - and your cerebral humor is transparent in your stories. They are heartwarming, and paint word pictures like a pro! Remember us when you're a famous author will you mate (or is it materess? Wait, is that something yanks sleep on? Now I'm confused...

Linda Davis said...

Always enjoyed your stories at the table but now that you have written the stories it's like being there.I love them write more.Well done.